FIRST FEMALE GUIDE TRAINING 2021:
We conducted the first women’s high altitude guide training in November 2021. Five female trail-runners, graduates from the Mira Rai Initiative, received guide training while trekking to Everest Base Camp and over the 3 passes (Kongma La, Cho La and Renjo La) in the Everest region. Of the five trainees, Anita Rai and Nikki Nembang lead a few treks in the Spring of 2022. Others are looking for opportunities and will potentially get work as trekking guides once trekking tourism returns to near pre-pandemic levels.
SECOND FEMALE GUIDE TRAINING 2023:
The second edition of the female guide training course will be conducted January 15 – 30, 2023. Participants will trek for 15 days to the Langtang region and up to the Gosaikunda Lakes. This training will help participants augment their trekking guide skills and will be a plus when they apply for employment either with trekking companies or when they guide individual trekkers. In this edition, we will include both a lodge trek and a camping trek component to allow the trainee to gain a clear understanding of what the two formats entail. We have 8 spots for this course. Participants must submit by email documents and an essay (see below) by January 03. An in-person interview will be conducted on January 05.
- Nepali Tourism industry
- History and introduction to Nepali Tourism industry
- Tourism Today, it’s challenges and Future
- Outdoor leadership
- Leadership, team work and communication
- Organizational skills
- Judgement and Decision making
- Risk/Conflict management and Problem solving
- Search, Rescue and Evacuation
- Back Country skills
- Backpacking, camping and Layering
- Ration Planning and Outdoor cooking
- Map reading and navigation
- Basic rope skills
- Wilderness medicine/First aid
- Environmental Studies
- Leave No Trace – Leave no trace (LNT)
- Global Warming and Climate change
Day 01: Drive to Syabrubesi. Lodge.
Day 02: Trek to Lama Hotel. Lodge.
Day 03: Trek to Riverside. Lodge
Day 04: Trek to Kyanjin Gompa. Lodge
Day 05: Kyanjin Gompa. Lodge
Day 06: Trek to Langshisha Kharka. Tents.
Day 07: Explore to Tillman pass. Tents.
Day 08: Explore to Ganjala pass. Tents
Day 09: Explore to Yala Base Camp. Tents
Day 10: Descend to Thangshyap. Lodge
Day 11: Trek to Bamboo. Lodge
Day 12: Trek to Cholangpati. Lodge
Day 13: Trek to Gosaikunda. Lodge
Day 14: Trek to Sing Gompa. Lodge
Day 15: Trek to Dhunche. Drive back to Kathmandu.
Objectives of the Training course:
- Develop greater confidence in Outdoor Professionals
- Promote respect for nature, surrounding and fellow travelers
- Build essential outdoor skills
- Foster greater awareness of self, clients and environment.
Requirements for the Female Guide Training course:
- Photo copy of Nepali Citizenship
- Age: 25 – 40 years
- Qualification: Ability to speak and read English or any other foreign language besides Nepali and Hindi. (This will be assessed in the interview)
- Must have been on at least one high altitude trek (submit photo of trek)
- Must have a Trekking Guide license, Tour Guide license or a Climbing guide license
- Along with the above documents, submit a one-page bio data and an essay (fewer than 300 words) explaining why you wish to take this trekking guide course to firstname.lastname@example.org